Castles of Yesteryear

RETRORATING: 12

The Jet Set Willy Saga

RETRORATING: 9

Retro Rooms

CONTEST WINNER!

Forum » Chew The Fat » Online romances?
vkimo
Anyone here ever have a relationship that started online? I feel like it's still a little taboo but it's seemingly becoming the norm. With social apps like Tinder, people are meeting up more than ever!

I met my GF of 3.5 years on Omegle of all places haha It was tough at first with her being on the east coast and me being in California. But we worked it out and I'm glad for that.

So what about you guys?

Benjanime
i met one girl on skype, but she turned out to be 16. never again....
Quote Disable Sigs

3DS Friend Code: 4124-6332-4341
Name: Benji
Nintendo Network ID: Benjamillion
PSN account ID: benjanime
vkimo
Hahaha you dodged a bullet there!
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
My wife and I met on a now defunct website... DreamDates or something along those lines. Thankfully she only lived a few hours north in the same state. As I mentioned in another thread, I had traveled to the state of Washington, Idaho, and West Virginia for online relationship stuff. That gets old. LOL.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
vkimo
When you tell people how you two met, do you get mixed reactions?
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
More so in years past than now. Though here in no man's land, it's still kind of an unusual way of meeting a soul mate. 
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
vkimo
I feel like it's a way better way to get to know someone. You don't have all the physical awkwardness getting in the way, which lets you focus on the person's personality more.
Quote Disable Sigs
ThatDudeintheHoodie
Everytime I did it ended in flames. Even when a friend hooked me up with someone it failed.
Quote Disable Sigs
echidna64
Congrats Vkimo, I didn't know you two met online! You can always tell her- "I came from the internet" lol

My Aunt and Uncle met online back in the 90's and they're two of the most awesome people I've ever met and they have two amazing kids.

I heard somewhere that nowadays 1 in 4 people have tried online dating. Those are some pretty good odds if you're single!

I tried online dating a couple years ago (before I met the wifey), overall it was a good experience getting to talk with women for free

There was this girl from Texas I had gotten pretty close with, we would text and call each other all the time. After I bought a plane ticket to go see her, she disclosed to me that she was engaged to somebody, but she still wanted me to come! Haha I was not game for that!

In the next two years (in the following order)- she had a baby, got married, got divorced, had another baby, and got engaged to a new man. Guess I dodged a bullet! lol  

Quote Disable Sigs
blueluigi
I've been on dates through OKcupid. They were kind of subpar though.
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
I think the best way to go about the online dating thing is to follow these steps:

1. Chat online - Talk about your likes, dislikes, your day, etc. for a couple weeks.
2. Switch to phone calls - Now you can not only hear the other person's voice, but you get a much better feel for their personality and how they react to certain types of humor, questions, etc. Do this for about 1 month.
3. During the phone call phase, exchange recent pictures of one another, and give a fairly detailed breakdown of your past.
4. First Date - Now decide to meet. The male should be willing to meet the female in her home turf, as she is the more vulnerable sex, and she must feel comfortable and safe. Let her pick the activities.

That's about it. From there, you start to get indications as to whether or not you are truly compatible.

The love doctor has spoken.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Go to page: