never be
forgotten.
Childhood Fears

OFFICIAL

The Mall Arcade

RETRORATING: 18

Forum » Retro T.V. & Movies » Oscar-winning films
Mr Magic
With the Academy Awards coming next weekend, why don't we talk about the films of the past that were worthy of the Oscar? Because there's so many that aren't.

One I felt was worthy is Dances with Wolves. Kevin Costner plays a Civil War lieutenant, who's enemies are Indians. But rather than attack them, he befriends them, and soon he becomes one of them. You have to like the transition.

Quote Disable Sigs

"Magic can happen to you."

Vaporman87
I typically don't like films that win Oscars, as they are usually too artsy, realistic, or boring. But there are exceptions.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Mr Magic
The Godfather.

A crime epic beyond words. I wish Al Pacino had received an Oscar, but I'm pleased Marlon Brando did. He totally deserved it.
Quote Disable Sigs

mickyarber
I agree about Dances with Wolves.....and I don't think Pulp Fiction won either.  Wasn't that the same year that Forest Gump won?  If so, I'll throw Pulp Fiction in there.
Quote Disable Sigs
www.retroramblings.com
Mr Magic
mickyarber wrote :
,,,and I don't think Pulp Fiction won either.  Wasn't that the same year that Forest Gump won?  If so, I'll throw Pulp Fiction in there. -end quote
Pulp Fiction won for Best Original Screenplay. And yes, it was the same year Forrest Gump won.

Quote Disable Sigs

eddstarr
YES!

The Big Short won Best Adapted Screenplay. Sweet!
Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic
Remind me not to see The Danish Girl.

I don't do lesbian movies.
Quote Disable Sigs

eddstarr
Well Mad Max is doing fine. Maybe I should check out the dvd. 

I stayed away because I'm not a fan of re-inventing the wheel, male for female. It all seems so childish to me, but the Academy disagrees.
Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic
Big night for Fury Road. Heck of a movie.
Quote Disable Sigs

eddstarr

Visual EffectsEx Machina. Didn't see that coming. Didn't see the movie either.

Quote Disable Sigs
eddstarr
Best Original Writing, Spotlight.

I'm not familiar with Spotlight so I looked at the trailer. 

A movie about sexual abuse in the Catholic Church in America. I must have been in a cave when this movie was in theaters, this is the first I've heard of it.

Quote Disable Sigs
Go to page: