You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Chew The Fat » Are Wrestlers Cursed to Die?
Rick Ace Rhodes
So last night as I was doing some research, I found out that Viscera died almost two years ago and I knew nothing about it.

We've seen a lot of wrestlers die early deaths over the years, from men like Rick Rude or The Ultimate Warrior, to tragedies like Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. It's happened a lot in the past few years, so it got me wondering: are wrestlers cursed to die early deaths?

Quote Disable Sigs

*Insert funny signature here*

Mr Magic
Not all of them.

Some die much, much, older. "Classy" Freddie Blassie was 85 when he passed.
Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

Vaporman87
I think the nature of their job places them at a much higher risk for early death. Much like football players and some other sports related occupations.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Mr Magic
I miss Gorilla Monsoon's commentating.

"This place has gone bananas!"
Quote Disable Sigs

vkimo
A lot of the guys were overweight and may have used steroids. I remember reading somewhere how something like only half of the wrestlers from one of the first Royal Rumbles were still living. I think Yokuzuna and Earthquake are gone too. Very sad.
Quote Disable Sigs
eddstarr
This is a topic that has shaken me up many times.

Wrestlers share the same trouble as strongmen, bodybuilders and weightlifters - shorten lifespans.
Whenever a strength athlete dies young I always blamed all the chemicals these men use. I have since learned that it's more fundamental than that.

For strength athletes the problem starts with cardiovascular limitations plus combinations of performance enhancing drugs plus undo stress of various causes.

The rule of thumb for big bodies is simple - no matter what your size all humans have similar sized hearts. The biggest, strongest men on earth are all hobbles by the size of the human heart and circulatory system. Medically speaking, anything science tries to compensate for the limits of the human heart are indeed life threatening too.

That means wrestlers are very vulnerable and you guys know what can happen. 
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
That's something that I hope is a plus for my health, my small size. I was always one of the shortest kids in school (I'm 5' 8"), a fact that I hated.

Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
pikachulover
I think another problem is that they live on the road and they don't really get an off season.
Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic
Ain't it funny how wrestlers from Extreme Championship Wrestling are living at all after what they been through in the company?

Quote Disable Sigs

Poshy2005
Also looking at the stunts they do as well.  With any extreme sport the bigger the stunt the better so they have to keep out doing themselves which puts them at a higher risk of energy and death.
Quote Disable Sigs
Jrs1991
No, because then they all would be dead.
Quote Disable Sigs
Go to page: