never be
forgotten.
Little Nemo

RETRORATING: 12

Remembering RetroJunk

RETRORATING: 30

Forum » Retro Places » Drive-Ins
Vaporman87
A documentary released last year purports to give us a history lesson on one of America's dying cultural attractions, the Drive-In.

The film is available on DVD and Vudu now, and I plan to watch it.

Above is the Kanauga Drive-In. It was the drive-in most local to me, at about 20 minutes away. It was demolished in 2011 and is now an empty lot. Sad. Just sad.

I can recall catching movies in there a few times, which makes me glad I had that opportunity.

Quote Disable Sigs

You love this signature.

ThatDudeintheHoodie
I used to go to one while living in NY in Avon. Loved it.
Quote Disable Sigs
vkimo
I definitely want to see that documentary. Drive Ins to me at least seem to have been out of the picture (Pun intended) for decades now. I only have one memory and that was actually my first movie experience, Ghostbusters. I was only like 2 at the time so I'm amazed I remember. That drive in is gone now too. I think there's one about 45 minutes away from here in PA.

The concept of a drive in seems so much better than the movies. Although you definitely need to have the right vehicle for it.
Quote Disable Sigs
Jrs1991
I remember going to one when i was a kid and we watched twister.
Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic
Sadly, I've never been to one.
Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

Vaporman87
Jrs1991 wrote :

I remember going to one when i was a kid and we watched twister.
-end quote

That's funny, because doesn't Twister have a scene where the storm tears up a drive-in?
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
vkimo
I'd love to be at a Drive In that's all happening. Like the one in Grease.
Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic
I hope I go to a Drive In someday, so I can actually watch the food sing "let's all go to the lobby" on the movie screen. That's cute.
Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

Vaporman87
I watched the documentary the other day and it was pretty enjoyable. Lots of great info and images on old drive-ins, and the history of the drive-in. I highly recommend it for a trip down memory lane.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
massreality
I went to my first drive in theater this summer in Henderson, North Carolina. It was a double feature of Blended and Godzilla. Not a bad experience, I just parked too close and came out with a mega neck cramp. I'm glad I got to at least once. 

Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
@massreality: Glad you got to experience the Drive-In. It's an iconic American experience that is disappearing all to quickly.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Go to page: