You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Retro Video Games » favorite old computer games
shakin steak
I stick to DOS myself, but you guys can talk about Commodore, Sinclair, Mac, or BBC Micro stuff as well.

Alleycat
A very unique game, Alleycat has you running around the alley, avoiding dogs, shoes thrown from windows, and other cats.  Jump from the ground, to garbage cans, to fence, to clothesline, and into windows.  Inside the building are various challenges, more dogs, and a broom to interfere with you.  Finding and climbing up to your romantic kitty partner wins a round.  Catchy music and sound effects utilize the PC speaker.  Two different color palettes were used.  With that and the multitude of play styles, there is nothing else quite like this game.

Rise of the Triad
After Wolfenstein 3D and Doom 1, this was the next big FPS.  It accomplished many technical feats to surpass Doom, such as vertical movement and ludicrous gibs!  The glory was shortlived, though, as Doom 2 overshadowed it shortly thereafter with the Doom name and more complex layout (due to a new coding method that allowed oblique corners)  This was the last game I seriously played online.

Stunts
This was my first game experience with polygonal graphics and physics.  Crashes were spectacular, as were multi-cam replays.  You could make your own tracks, too.

Tetris trilogy
Spectrum Holobyte Tetris

The Mode 5 graphics in this Tetris are really great.  Very nice art with only four colors.  Each stage has a different background glorifying Mother Russia.

Welltris
The sequel to Tetris.  Again with a new picture for each stage.  Here we have a portrait of Tetris creator Alexy Pajitnov.

Blockout
Another Tetris "sequel", although Pajitnov had nothing to do with this one.  Whereas Welltris had us dropping 2D shapes into a 3D well, Blockout had the blocks in 3D too.  They could be flipped on all three axes. 

Friends, tell me some of your personal classics!

If you would like to play any of these games, they can be found along with many more at homeoftheunderdogs.net , abandonia.com , dosgames.com , or dosgamesarchive.com .

arizvega
There COOL...
Quote Disable Sigs
WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA....
Vaporman87
Holy cow! You just reminded me of playing a game I had LOOOOONG forgotten about! I remember Stunts!!! That game was so extremely fun back in the day.

I can't believe I forgot about that!

I honestly did not have many computer games back in the 80's. However, I did get to experience an early version of the internet back then. My stepdad had made it possible to connect through our phone line to a friend of his who had several games stored on his computer. I would occasionally sign on, say hi, and download a game or two onto our PC. It's so weird to think how far the internet has come since then.

I also attempted to code some text, choose your own path, adventures on our computer in GW Basic. I could get to maybe choice number 10 or so, and then it just got to be soooo complicated and time consuming to plot out each possible outcome, that I would give up about that time.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Benjanime
i had pc versions of sonic 3 and sonic 3 & knuckles that were my favorites, though the midi music mixing with the sound effects felt kind of off to me. other than that, i enjoyed playing the games after school
Quote Disable Sigs

3DS Friend Code: 4124-6332-4341
Name: Benji
Nintendo Network ID: Benjamillion
PSN account ID: benjanime
rogerxy
On PC, Adventure games have always been my favorites. Titles like Leisure suit Larry, Day of the Tentacle, Space Quest, Kings Quest and so forth. But my favorite will probably always be Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge

Quote Disable Sigs
The game doesn't start until you say YES.
raptor

rogerxy wrote :
But my favorite will probably always be Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge

I need to try that one out.
Quote Disable Sigs
insert Chuck Norris meme here
rogerxy
You really should if you like adventure games. They are not for everyone though. I suggest you start with the 1st Monkey Island game
Quote Disable Sigs
The game doesn't start until you say YES.
SilverMagician
Descent.

I loved this game very much. It was quiet at times, but it would get loud shooting all those robot ships haha. I wish it would get released again for the PC.

Quote Disable Sigs
Guess who's back? No really...GUESS, GAWD DAMMIT.

(Thanks for editing my signature...whoever had the power to do so lol).
Vaporman87

SilverMagician wrote :
Descent.
I loved this game very much. It was quiet at times, but it would get loud shooting all those robot ships haha. I wish it would get released again for the PC.

I could see this being remade/rebooted and being successful. It was a pretty good game at the time (a time when first person shooters weren't a dime a dozen, especially involving piloting a craft).
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
shakin steak
I remember Descent, too. Very interesting with spin-navigating on all three axes.

One thing I have to say about these games is the early 90s PC devs were a lot better at designing 3D levels and wayfinding than most of today's console devs.
Quote Disable Sigs
echidna64
X-Com

King's Quest Series (V and VI)

Captain Claw

Civilization II (Call to Power)

Starcraft

Dungeon Keeper 2

Warcraft Tides of Darkness

Diablo 2
Quote Disable Sigs
Go to page: