You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Chew The Fat » Those of you who skipped school or faked "sick"
Dalek227
Did you ever feel guilty towards the end of the day or did you just enjoy yourself the whole time?
I ask because the thread about Mama's Family in the retro tv forum got me thinking about how i'd spend my sick days. If I was just pretending to be sick, which I did on occasion, i'd be enjoying myself until around the time I knew school was out.Then i'd start to get a little anxiety about the amount of makeup work I might have when I go back the next day. There was also this feeling of "Man I didn't even leave the house today". And my moms rule (and she wasn't strict by any means) was that if we didn't go to school we weren't allowed to go out in public the same day. Unless of course we skipped for a dentist appointment or something,

So like a sucker i'd feel guilty later on and afraid i'd missed something important I was going to get in trouble for. 

NLogan
Yeah the guilt came hand in hand after the high of pulling it off (faking sick) wore off. My mom is cut from the same cloth. My wife too for that matter. If you are too sick for work or school you are too sick to go out and do anything else.
Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic
As much as I wanted to stay home from school, I didn't have the heart to play hooky.
Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

pikachulover
Sometimes I did if there was a bully I was trying to avoid, but I would usually be so worried I'd make myself sick in the process.
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87

At first I thought the title was referring to skipping school without the knowledge of your parents. That is something my friends would do, but I was too honest and afraid to. I’m not sure that I ever faked sickness to stay home from school, but I do know for certain I faked sickness, because I can remember a time that mom wanted to give me medicine, and I foolishly asked if taking medicine when your aren’t sick can hurt you. Talk about being a bad liar. lol

Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Rick Ace Rhodes
I don't know if I ever really faked being sick. There were a few times where I probably could of gone to school but didn't because I felt a little sick in the morning but preceded to feel fine by the afternoon. My parents were a little too smart to fall for a fake illness.

Now as for skipping, I never did it during grade school. Come college however I did it a whole bunch of times. One time I did it was for that Friday of our 2016 Retro Con meet up (I think I also skipped Monday too just so I could relax but I can't remember).
Quote Disable Sigs
*Insert funny signature here*
Benjanime
i only recall playing sick once, and it was in third grade faking a sore throat.
Quote Disable Sigs

3DS Friend Code: 4124-6332-4341
Name: Benji
Nintendo Network ID: Benjamillion
PSN account ID: benjanime
Vaporman87
Rick Ace Rhodes wrote :
Come college however I did it a whole bunch of times. One time I did it was for that Friday of our 2016 Retro Con meet up
-end quote
I'd say that was about as good a reason to skip as any. 
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Caps 2.0
My mom recorded the CBS premiere of "Police Academy 4: Citizens On Patrol" when I was in 2nd grade, and as I was really into the "Police Academy" franchise at the time, I can recall saying I felt ill, thus leading my mom to pick me up so I could go home and watch the recording. That's the only time I can recall faking an illness.
Quote Disable Sigs
Dalek227
Vaporman87 wrote :

At first I thought the title was referring to skipping school without the knowledge of your parents. That is something my friends would do, but I was too honest and afraid to. I’m not sure that I ever faked sickness to stay home from school, but I do know for certain I faked sickness, because I can remember a time that mom wanted to give me medicine, and I foolishly asked if taking medicine when your aren’t sick can hurt you. Talk about being a bad liar. lol

-end quote

I did it a few times throughout the years, faked being sick. Felt guilty by the time school was out for the day and thought man I should have gone. Now i'm bored and I can't go do anything because my mom has always said the time your trying to avoid people is the time you will run into everyone you know, and those people will ask if your so sick what are you doing out and about? And I'd feel nervous i'd missed a lot of work or that I missed something my friends would be mad at me about. I was such a weirdo. My mom honestly was weird too though. While she had that policy of oh heck no, you can't leave the house, you won't have me looking like a bad parent to people..she also I'm pretty sure at least one of the times didn't truly believe I didn't feel well but let me stay home anyway. Go figure.

My mom was actually a little TOO lenient in a lot of ways. My son I believe suffers from anxiety. He's never been diagnosed, but he often (too often) wants to stay home from school or goes to the nurse with a belly ache wanting to come home. It's something he's done since hew as in first grade and he's a Freshmen now. There's nothing medically wrong with him, but he also refuses to say it's because he's upset about something. I think he just truly doesn't care for school. Now if he's truly vomiting at home or has other digestive issues or is hacking up a lung, I let him stay home because I can see he's truly sick and it's not worth the hassle of sending him just to get a call to come get him. Where it's harder, is when he's actually at school and randomly he goes to the nurse and TELLS her he threw up. I feel like he's lying at times about this but depending on the school or the nurse you have to pick your battles. In elementary school the majority of the time if a kid says they threw up someones got to come get him. Here in highschool , at least his high school, you can tell the nurse to please actually have him rest a bit and then TRY his hardest to get through the day. This school actually allows them cell phones in certain classes and in the hallways. So i've made my son promise that if he is feeling like he doesn't feel good to talk to ME about it first through text before he goes to the nurse. I can normally talk him down from the ledge.

The reason I request that is that I don't want to look like a jerk in front of the nurse asking her to have him try and stick it out. The reason why I do this, is because he always misses almost the max school days your allowed to use in a year. Sure they claim all the time "keep them home if they are sick!" but then if you actually do that everytime they feel sick you get in trouble. It wasn't AS huge a deal in elementary school. My son missed 15 days last year and they still let him graduate 8th grade because I was diligent about calling each of those days and he wasn't failing any classes and he was a good kind kid. Well behaved. In High School, at least at this one, it's stricter. We have Two Semesters.  It's supposed to be something like each semester you can have three unexcused absences before your reported for truancy. Your allowed three absences with a note excuse. If your child is sick and you send them with a signed note from you the next day that you were aware they were absence and why, it's supposed to be excused. That doesn't sound too bad. However, my son was absent three days from Sept to the 21st of December and I got a notice in the mail saying if he had had one more unexcused absence this past semester we would have been in trouble. I was like wait..all three times he was home I wrote a note and he passed it in. That's excused. Not unexcused. Well I checked his absences in the school grade reporting app called Skywardand  they were counting the two times this year that he went to the nurse (I don't know if the nurse didn't send him back to class with a note or if the teachers forgot to fix marking him absent for that particular class or what) and the one time he was in his own IEP meeting and the teacher was aware of it but marked him absent anyway.

I was like crap, they count it even you miss just ONE class?  I'm pretty sure the nurse is supposed to have the teacher fix those marks but it probably rarely happens. So now i'm like man just text me and try and suck it up. Plus he's struggling with Algebra this year so unless he's dying at home he really can't afford to miss any algebra lessons and reviews. He squeaked by barely passing this semester for that class.

So I for sure played fake sick once or twice, maybe real sick once and probably missed a day or got out early for a dentist appointment once, but I don't think I ever missed more than 5 days the whole school year. 
Quote Disable Sigs
Dalek227
I should also say that when my son's home from school sick and I've not witnessed him be physically ill or heard him be ill and i'm not 100% sure he's really sick, BECAUSE he's missed so many days for so many years, i'm a meaner mom than my mom was. I won't let him use his electronics until like closer to when school would be out for the day in hopes that if he's not really sick he'll think twice about faking again. If he's legit sick I'll let him use his phone while laying down.

If he was a kid with normal absence days i'd be more lenient. I also forgot to add that were a one car family currently so I'd have to take an Uber to pick him up from school and I REALLY don't want to do that unless it's absolutely unavoidable.
Quote Disable Sigs
Go to page: