You will
never be
forgotten.
Christmas Yuleogy

CONTEST WINNER!

How I Remember Christmas

RETRORATING: 11

Forum » Chew The Fat » TV show TMNT is officially dead to me now.
Benjanime
So, I've been part of a TMNT group on Facebook for a good year now and ever since the announcement of Rise of the TMNT there's been a divide in fans. Some have grown to like the art style and formula, and others have had a hatred for it. Some of the naysayers have said harshly that it's not for them, but I've told others sincerely that it's just not for me after watching the first episode.

The first problem I had with it was its overuse of over the top humor. kids younger than 9 are sure to eat this show right up because of it but it just baffles me how adults find this aspect of the show entertaining. obviously past predecessors also had their own humor but it didn't feel over the top like it's constantly done here.

Raph, as a leader has been a well known problem to others and in my opinion Splinter letting him have that role just rubs me the wrong way. on a side note, making him look jacked compared to the other turtles makes him seem a bit overpowered, and if that's the case, why bother giving him weapons?

Compared to Raph it seems like the creators purposely made Leo look scrawny so he's shoved to the back, also seeming like an excuse to give him the role of being the new clown to Mikey, which, the jokes and tidbits of him trying to be funny fell flat.

As for Donatello it's hard to say whether or not I had a dislike of his new personality, the mad scientist kind of vibe he gives off when working on a device was interesting, but just like the other turtles he attempts to make humorous remarks, his character wasn't too bad.

April, I didn't really want to talk too much about. I'm all for creators having a little diversity with race but the April in this reboot is just too obnoxious for me.

Lastly for Splinter, it was nice that the creators had him go back to his roots in watching tv, but aside from that he really doesn't do much else besides making fun of the turtles' performance in attempting to train. is this really how he's going to be portrayed now?

Overall I just couldn't take all of these changes seriously. maybe it's just me being an old fart here but when a reboot has to turn a franchise inside out into a mangled up mess like this I just can't find it watchable. at least with the 2012 cartoon there were nods and references to the source material and past installments of the ninja turtle franchise that made it fun, and the turtles had more bearable character to them, but as for Rise of the TMNT, it's given me a reason to pick up on the comics to check those out instead.

Quote Disable Sigs

3DS Friend Code: 4124-6332-4341
Name: Benji
Nintendo Network ID: Benjamillion
PSN account ID: benjanime

Vaporman87
The moment I saw the direction they were going with this I was out. Not looking to add another Teen Titans GO! style show to my watchlist. Hopefully this and the Thundercats abomination die a quick death.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Rick Ace Rhodes
I had no idea about this show and I just looked it up. It looks completely dreadful and uninteresting. It manages to rise just a little above that crappy Cartoon Network style but still retains several of the terrible elements from it.

Also, why are they doing a reboot so quick? Didn't they just have a TMNT series airing on Nickelodeon? Why not give it two or three years before doing yet another different series?
Quote Disable Sigs
*Insert funny signature here*
Benjanime
the 2012 series got cancelled in favor of it. we didn't even get to see what happened to the other mutants before it ended!
Quote Disable Sigs

jkatz
I remember liking the movie where the turtles met alternate universe versions of themselves.
Quote Disable Sigs
The women of New Vegas ask me a lot if there's a Mrs. New Vegas. Well, of course there is! You're her. And you're still just as perfect as the day we met.
Benjanime
i watched turtles forever, i thought the plot was alright. but the way the 87 turtles were portrayed felt really off, like the writers watched like a little bit of one episode and improvised the rest on how the turtles are supposed to act. as for the crossover episode with the 2012 tmnt series, the writers actually did their homework to get the 87 turtles right.
Quote Disable Sigs

Linux_Sage
I had to take at what they've done and indeed it does look like trash. They're ruining these franchises in the same way they've ruined Teen Titans, and even the Thunder Cats reboot. I can't take this garbage seriously. 
Quote Disable Sigs
Wir sprechen zu viel, aber wir sehen zu wenig.
shakin steak
It doesn't look that bad to me. 

I like the drawing style a lot better than the last show.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/nickelodeon-unveils-new-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-series-for-2018

Switching up the roles of Leonardo and Raphael is certainly unexpected but maybe it could work, with Raph always having been the more aggressive character. Rob Paulsen in the director's seat is very interesting. "A mystical world beneath the streets of NYC" is in line with the Mirage comics. I'll have to make time to watch an episode.
Quote Disable Sigs
Rick Ace Rhodes
The only TMNT cartoon that I consider to be good was the 2003 series. Yeah, it's the one I grew up on and granted I didn't watch some of the later seasons of it. But for the most part I think it hit everything it needed to hit. It wasn't overly cartoony, nor overly dark. It maintained a good blend of seriousness and comical humor when needed.
Quote Disable Sigs
*Insert funny signature here*
shakin steak
I like that one too. It looked good. It hewed really close to the early Mirage stories.

Did you ever see Fast Forward? I like that one too. Good double feature with Batman Beyond.
Quote Disable Sigs
Benjanime
peter laird was involved with the 2003 series as well.
Quote Disable Sigs

Go to page: