You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Retro T.V. & Movies » She-Ra: Princess of Power (and reboot)
Vaporman87
So it seems that He-Man's sister is finally getting her turn at the reboot treatment, following He-Man's 2002 reboot by Mike Young Productions/Cartoon Network. Netflix is the distribution channel for this reboot. Though I'm not a She-Ra fan, I am looking forward to seeing the MOTU universe have another cartoon out there.

An interesting note...  AJ Michalka (who plays Barry's love interest on The Goldbergs) is voicing Catra.

Quote Disable Sigs

You love this signature.

Superman
I watched a little bit of the original series on Netflix and liked it well enough, despite the fact that it was clearly more targeted towards girls than it was towards boys. I might sample the reboot if I hear good things about it and/or find myself bored and in need of something to watch.
Quote Disable Sigs
shakin steak
Ooh! I'm definitely gonna check this out.
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
So I'm not sure how to feel about this. Considering I was not a big She-Ra fan, I'm not upset at the apparent changes in style, story, and gender or nationality of characters. But you have to laugh at them including a chubby girl. Not at the fact that she's chubby, but at the fact that it seems so forced. Like "Hey, look at us! We're soooo inclusive... you don't even know!"    And yes, I know what shape Madam Razz was in.

Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
shakin steak
Vaporman87 wrote :

So I'm not sure how to feel about this. Considering I was not a big She-Ra fan, I'm not upset at the apparent changes in style, story, and gender or nationality of characters. But you have to laugh at them including a chubby girl. Not at the fact that she's chubby, but at the fact that it seems so forced. Like "Hey, look at us! We're soooo inclusive... you don't even know!"    And yes, I know what shape Madam Razz was in.

-end quote
I don't know that I would have noticed if you didn't say something. But yeah, the Captain Planet Diversity Mode generally feels artificial when shows decide to use it.
Are they the same characters? The only one I can tell is Glimmer. If that guy is Bow, I'm fine with it, considering how terribly annoying he was in the old show.

Anyway, I think it looks good.
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
shakin steak wrote :
I don't know that I would have noticed if you didn't say something. But yeah, the Captain Planet Diversity Mode generally feels artificial when shows decide to use it.
Are they the same characters? The only one I can tell is Glimmer. If that guy is Bow, I'm fine with it, considering how terribly annoying he was in the old show.

Anyway, I think it looks good.
-end quote
Yeah, Bow was boring and annoying already, so anything has to be an improvement.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Benjanime
why does this remind me of steven universe?
Quote Disable Sigs

3DS Friend Code: 4124-6332-4341
Name: Benji
Nintendo Network ID: Benjamillion
PSN account ID: benjanime
jkatz
Benjanime wrote :

why does this remind me of steven universe?
-end quote
Took the words right out of my mouth! lol
Quote Disable Sigs
The women of New Vegas ask me a lot if there's a Mrs. New Vegas. Well, of course there is! You're her. And you're still just as perfect as the day we met.
shakin steak
Okay, I'm seven episodes in. I am a She-Ra fan of the original show and I think they do a pretty good job with this.

I do not like the character redesigns. I'm 50-50 on She-Ra /Adora herself as well as Catra, and some characters who have only appeared briefly so far. The rest of them, I straight up don't prefer, compared to the 80s counterparts. I'm not into the "juvenile" direction, but I know that's the way  kids action-adventure cartoons are going these days.

What I do like is the plotting and character relationships. It's more substantial as far as explaining origins, of the Rebellion and of Adora. I also like the Horde robot soldiers and how they're  a little bit less stupid, and the battles can be a (very)  little bit more directly violent. The humor is most definitely better but that's not to say there aren't some dumb or annoying parts. Bow is not changed as much as I hoped, he's still a dork but maybe in some different ways.

I don't prefer anime style, but  it does shine here in facial expressions.

If you are on the fence, watch the first two episodes. I think you can decide after that. Hordak gets a quick reveal at the end of the third episode, and I think through the fourth episode sets up the story arc for the rest of at least  the first season. 

That's my old man opinion on this reboot for kids.
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87

@shakin: I’m a few episodes in, and it’s not awful. Not great, but not awful. Enough humor to entice the kids, and enough references to the old series to please their parents. It could be better (especially the style of art), but it could also be much worse. I’ll keep watching

Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Vaporman87

Uhg. So I watched a couple more episodes last night and the disgruntled teen act is really wearing thin. All the characters are goofballs except Shadow Weaver, Hordak, and Queen Angelica. They really needed to include more serious characters to add some weight to things. This is like the Thor:Ragnarok version of She-Ra for teen girls, and it’s not working

Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Go to page: