You will
never be
forgotten.
The Mall Arcade

RETRORATING: 18

Operation Santa

RETRORATING: 11

Forum » Chew The Fat » So, about that James Rolfe fellow....
Benjanime
It's been a few months since I've watched a Cinemassacre video. Why? Well as of that long ago, I unsubscribed from the channel after realizing the lack of quality that James has put into his videos, and not just him, but his friend that supports the channel, Mike Matei.

When the AVGN name was a thing back around 2006 on YouTube, I was a loyal follower to this popular review trend. Of course as the years passed James included some cameos from his friends at ScrewAttack around 2008, and that's when the series had hit its peak. But of course you can only go so far with creating a successful series until it becomes stale.

Since the AVGN movie released on home video, I just haven't brought myself to watch anymore videos done by James. The James and Mike Mondays series sounded like a neat idea on paper, but it's just cringeworthy hearing Mike trying too hard to make a joke about a game. Heck you can even see on James' face that he's trying to hide his embarrassment with an empty smile when Mike tries to make a dirty joke.

And then we have the recent AVGN reviews. The last one that I brought myself to watch was his Beavis and Butt-head game review for the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. It felt bland at best without any effort put into it, but that's just me.

The final nail in the coffin was his "non-review" of the new Ghostbusters movie. Don't get me wrong, I disliked the movie much like everyone else, but James went out of his way to drag Harold Ramis' name in the mud and that felt like a low blow in my opinion. Harold's daughter herself even said on her Facebook that ratting on the reboot isn't what Harold would have wanted, and I respect that. If you still watch James' videos regularly, well, more power to ya. As for me I'm tipping my hat and moving on elsewhere.

Quote Disable Sigs

3DS Friend Code: 4124-6332-4341
Name: Benji
Nintendo Network ID: Benjamillion
PSN account ID: benjanime

shakin steak

I watched a couple of "Angry Nintendo Nerd" videos back when it was called that, and they were OK. But basically, I hate all youtubers. A cesspool of poorly (if at all) scripted foaming at the mouth and like-comment-share-subscribe begging.

"No effort" is a pretty good description for most of these people, IMO. I'd say "grating" rather than "bland" though.

Quote Disable Sigs
Benjanime
I say bland because it almost put me to sleep. but yeah I wholeheartedly agree about youtube popularity now. you have to be as obnoxious as possible to get any attention from viewers. I have more youtube let's players on my subscriptions that get a minimum of around just 1 to 2k of views as they have laid back commentary, nintendocaprisun being an example.

i'm just surprised that james is still doing this kind of thing after a decade, he's about to be a family man and he should set his videos aside, or at least rethink his concept of videos.
Quote Disable Sigs

3DS Friend Code: 4124-6332-4341
Name: Benji
Nintendo Network ID: Benjamillion
PSN account ID: benjanime
echidna64
I agree that the AVGN videos have either lost their quality or the shtick has gotten old, hard to tell which. Also, I'm not really a fan of the non-scripted episodes like James and Mike Mondays either. 

However, I LOVE Monster Madness! I watch it religiously every Halloween. Also, a lot of his videos are interesting or fun to watch like Board James and the Berenstain(stein) Bears one he did this year. 
Quote Disable Sigs
Rick Ace Rhodes
I've pretty much had a falling out with everyone from Rolfe's ilk: Nostalgia Critic, Brad Jones and even Linkara, who was the guy who got me into this entire group of people.

Nostalgia Critic changed far too much of his style and Linkara was ruined when he started getting involved with Patreon. I don't know why I drifted away from Jones or AVGN. They honestly don't seem that different to me, but I've barely kept up with them aside from what appears in my Facebook feed.
Quote Disable Sigs
*Insert funny signature here*
massreality
I don't subscribe anymore, but I do take the time to watch the AVGN videos but nothing else. I was extremely disappointed with the AVGN movie and I really feel like the channel lost steam around that time.

Quote Disable Sigs
Linux_Sage
I watch his videos from time to time. They're OK. It's still tolerable for me unlike many of those YouTubers who I find cringe worthy and cancerous like Markiplier, Pewdiepie, Jacksepticeye, and everyone of their ilk.
Quote Disable Sigs
Wir sprechen zu viel, aber wir sehen zu wenig.
Vaporman87
I'll never understand the fascination with YouTube videos. People subscribe to channels and then watch these videos of regular people doing various typical things, like playing games and then talking about them? I don't get it. Why? My kids love DanTDM and EvanTube. EvanTube I can almost bring myself to understand, as the family dynamic and mix of subject matter is appealing to kids and families... but DanTDM I don't get. All he does is play games and talk about it while he does so. Is there so little available on Netflix and cable that people have resorted to watching twenty-somethings play video games?
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
shakin steak
Benjanime wrote :

he's about to be a family man and he should set his videos aside
-end quote
Isn't that the LAST time somebody should quit their job?
Quote Disable Sigs
blueluigi
I unsubscribed from Cinemassacre's channel after the Cheetahmen II Kickstarter. Not just so much that they were supporting it, but the fact that they were censoring comments on James' channel left a bad taste in my mouth. Though the part that really made me pull the unsubscribe trigger was after knowing that the Thank You video James sent out to his fans that backed his movie on IndieGogo... and that was his review on Elmo's Number Journey for the N64, which repeated the same problems that was used when Mike Matei reviewed Elmo in Grouchland by making these very vulgar, unfunny Elmo impressions. This, to me, felt like a slap in the face than a Thank You video because they knew people hated Mike Matei's review of Elmo in Grouchland, and it seemed like James decided to do an AVGN review of that same style just to spit in their faces.

I only watch Cinemassacre videos on occasion now. There are times where it's still nice to hear James' take on certain movies. Though, I cannot stand Mike Matei. He is not funny, and has a very overinflated ego. It was partially because of him that made me unsubscribe from Cinemassacre. To also show how much of a sellout Cinemassacre is becoming, they actually made a DVD of James and Mike Monday. I can understand making DVDs of AVGN... but James and Mike Mondays is mostly just them making commentary while playing video games. That type of thing is good enough for Youtube... but why does that crap need a DVD? It's not even that good to begin with as there are plenty of other Let's Players on Youtube that are way better than this.

Oh yeah, and the AVGN movie was awful. I actually torrented it, mainly because I didn't want to support Cinemassacre with any more of my money. This made me glad I never donated to his IndieGoGo.
Quote Disable Sigs
jkatz
I don't really delve too deeply into the world of youtube reviewers, but I used to be a fan of Channel Awesome and The Nostalgia Critic (to my eternal embarrassment). As a teenager, their stuff seemed hilarious, but when I watch it today, it's so cringe-inducing.

Today I like Half in the Bag for movie reviews. Highly recommended. 
Quote Disable Sigs
The women of New Vegas ask me a lot if there's a Mrs. New Vegas. Well, of course there is! You're her. And you're still just as perfect as the day we met.
Go to page: