never be
forgotten.
Retro Rooms

CONTEST WINNER!

The Dog Days of Childhood

RETRORATING: 16

Forum » Chew The Fat » Video Rental Stores
Rick Ace Rhodes
When was the last time you were at a video rental store? I remember that in 2011 my parents got a DVD from one that was near us (which also shutdown a short time later). The last time I got anything was from a different local one in 2010 (which also shutdown a short time later).

Quote Disable Sigs

*Insert funny signature here*

massreality
Last time I rented something was in 2004. I used to frequent Blockbuster every few months to rack up on some cheap previously viewed DVDs until they closed down. I did buy a ton the last day they were open.

I actually walked into a local video store (North American Video) about a month ago. They had a huge banner hanging outside announcing a sale. I had seen an ad on Craigslist showing that the owner was selling the place, so I figured I could find some great deals. I was wrong. The sale sign was put out by the new owner and there really wasn't much of anything for sale. I guess it was his attempt to drum up some traffic.

I miss video stores. I loved the interaction and I had a ton of great memories there. I guess, I played my part in letting them die. 
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
Rick Ace Rhodes wrote :

When was the last time you were at a video rental store?
-end quote
The only video rental store I am aware of (anywhere nearby) that is just a straight up video rental place is in the college town of Athens. I've never been in it.

So, I would say the last time I was in an actual video rental store was probably 6 or 7 years ago in a Movie Gallery that was here locally.

However, our department store here in R-town rents DVDs, and actually has quite a lot of them... including new releases. So if I ever did get the desire to rent a physical copy, it's just a hop, skip, and a jump away.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
onipar
About two years ago a local video store that *had* gone out of business actually reopened, so I went to rent a movie or two and buy some used discs.  They lasted about a year. maybe a bit more, but eventually folded again.  I'm vaguely aware of another video rental place that is maybe about 30 minutes from me.  I pass it every now and then but have never stopped in,though I keep meaning to,.  
Quote Disable Sigs
www.AnthonyJRapino.com
Mr Magic
I think 2008, when my father bought Mercenaries 2 for me from Blockbuster.
Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

AngelOtter
I got a few things from Blockbuster when it was closing, now it's a pet store 
Quote Disable Sigs
echidna64
Back in my day it was VHS and chill
Quote Disable Sigs
Ajimbo
A Blockbuster in 2011.

My friends and I had to avoid going back to another one due to outstanding late fees.  One friend had borrowed three DVDs that we rented, and said he would return them.  Then he dropped out of college, joined the Marines, and left the country.  We only found out he never returned them 3 months later, and had to get into his apartment to retrieve them.
Quote Disable Sigs
shakin steak

Vaporman87 wrote :

However, our department store here in R-town rents DVDs, and actually has quite a lot of them... including new releases.
-end quote
Not Redbox?

The last three times I have been in video stores it was for their going out of business sales. The first of those was in 2009. The last was last summer. I have had many obstacles myself since about 2007. Prior to that i was a regular and I wonder if I would have kept being one, if that hadn't been the case.

Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
shakin steak wrote :

Vaporman87 wrote :

However, our department store here in R-town rents DVDs, and actually has quite a lot of them... including new releases.
-end quote
Not Redbox?
-end quote
Nope. Just lots of shelves with cases sitting on them, dressed with numbers to match them up to the actual discs kept behind the counter.

They even have a "rewards" program of sorts where if you rent 9 movies, you get the 10th free (you have to keep the little pink slips of paper and "cash them in" for the free rental.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
shakin steak
Aw, that's nice.
Quote Disable Sigs
Go to page: