You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Chew The Fat » Items for a Retro Room
massreality
I've decided to turn my back bedroom into a retro room. I want the room to be have a couch and a TV, then also contain random retro items, posters, toys, etc. I've been slowly accumulating things off and on for the past couple years, but I'm getting pretty serious on making this a reality now. 

The rules are pretty simple. 

-Items must be from the late 70's, 80's or early to mid 90's or descend from them. By descend I mean the current Ninja Turtle toys would be okay, because they are direct descendants from the original toys. (Still made by Playmates/look similar)

-No current technology is allowed in the room. No cell phones/laptops, etc. 

-Outside of the couch (I sure hope I can find a big orange couch) there isn't much room for a lot of furniture. I already have a tall bookshelf in the room and a small writing desk. It's a pretty small room, so I got maximize what space I do have. 

-No crazy expensive items like pinball or arcade machines. I'd love to have them, but I can't afford them nor would they fit in there.

So my question to you is, what would you put in this room? What items would you consider essential to reflect the time period and make the room "feel" like its from that era? The room isn't being set up to show off to others, but is going to be a relaxing hangout for myself.

Quote Disable Sigs

Mr Magic
An NES or Genesis. Whatever you're into.
Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

Caps 2.0
If you have any autographs of personalities from the eras you specified, you can hang them up in there. If you don't have any autographs yet, you can purchase them from Amazon, eBay or even the stars themselves if they have official websites or if you meet them at conventions.
Quote Disable Sigs
Fuzz
  • By Fuzz
  • At 13:16 On 11 August 2015
  • 79 Posts
  • New Kid On The Block
You definitely need a poster of a Lamborghini with a chick in a bikini leaning over it.

You need a boombox that only plays tapes, no CDs.

Maybe stick some Garbage Pail Kids in a few spots.

Rubiks Cube and/or Simon game

Lava Lamp

Maybe put beads up in the doorway instead of a door

Have a pair of beat up Chuck Taylors in the corner

Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic
And if you're going to listen to 70s music, get a strobe light. It'll give your room a disco feel.
Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

Vaporman87
A pair of roller skates would fit in nicely beside those Chuck Taylors. Also there should be at least one Teddy Ruxpin and a Castle Grayskull sitting on a shelf somewhere, with Trapper Keepers leaning against them.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
shakin steak
Hmm...
Madballs
Comic books
An old phone, if your house has a landline. One that hangs on the wall since you're trying to save space.
VCR
Liquid motion toys (I recommend a spiral timer, but whatever suits you)
Newton's cradle

Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
shakin steak wrote :

Hmm...
Madballs
Comic books
An old phone, if your house has a landline. One that hangs on the wall since you're trying to save space.
VCR
Liquid motion toys (I recommend a spiral timer, but whatever suits you)
Newton's cradle
-end quote
Ooooh... these are good. Why didn't I think of the phone idea? It has to be a really gaudy color too.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
shakin steak
That dingy yellow, or avocado green. Or for the 90s kids, clear.
Quote Disable Sigs
onipar
You'll need a nice CRT TV for that VCR and Nintendo.  :-)  

• Micro Machines
  • Something old-school Freddy Krueger 
  • a plastic battery-operated wall clock
  • find an old calendar from the 80's!  
Oh man, I know I'll think of more stuff...

Quote Disable Sigs
www.AnthonyJRapino.com
onipar
Oh right, Nintendo Power magazines.  
Quote Disable Sigs
www.AnthonyJRapino.com
Go to page: