You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Chew The Fat » How do you feel about your age?
vkimo
Kind of an open ended question, but what do you think about when you consider your age? Feeling old psychically or just mentally? Do you feel like you've been around, or still feel pretty inexperienced with life?

I'm 28 and it's kind of scary being in my phsyical "prime" because this is it, I reached full adulthood and will start to age. My 30s are coming up and I still haven't found a "career" but I feel like my friends and family are more concerned than I am.

Mr Magic
What about age being just a number? Whatever happened to that?
Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

vkimo
thecrow174 wrote :

What about age being just a number? Whatever happened to that?
-end quote
You're my age aren't you?  And that saying is mostly reserved for senior citizens running marathons or learning to use an iPad.
Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic
I'm 29, so I'm close to your age.
Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

pikachulover
People usually tell me I look younger than I am like all the time. I guess they don't notice my crow's feet wrinkles. I think it's the way I project myself. I like to wear jeans, cartoons shirts, sneakers, and I have a Hello Kitty backpack.

In the legal sense I'm an adult and look like one, but I'm a child masquerading in a badly made adult costume.

I bet most of my peers probably have at least one kid and owned a house over the past 12 years at one time. Or did something really interesting like traveled the world or something. I don't think I'm anywhere near my age. I'm still trying to find myself and my special talent. I'll just think of myself of something needs to be aged like wine. Once I turned 30 I just got really mellow? I'm not sure how to describe that. I'm not as self conscious and angry as I was in my teens and 20s.
Quote Disable Sigs
Fuzz
I'm 36. I don't really feel any different than I did in my 20s. I still go to the gym and can do the same weights I did when I was younger. I still play video games once in a while. I still collect 80s toys for the man cave.

Really, the only thing different is a few grey hairs here and there.
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
Well, I'll be the downer a bit here.

My age causes me about 90% of my anxiety. Turning 40 made me face my mortality more so than any other age. I wouldn't care for myself, but for my wife and especially my children, it causes me great concern. Physically, I feel alright (other than I can't do some of the things I used to), but mentally... psychologically... it bothers me a great deal.

I see most 40 year olds and see they have children in their teens or about to graduate and become adults... yet my oldest is 9, and I have a newborn. Most 40 year olds still have their parents and even grandparents... yet I have lost all of my grandparents, and my mom. I feel disconnected from my past in a way that bothers me. Perhaps that is one part of my reasoning for starting this website, I'm not sure. Not to mention that is seems a monthly ritual to announce yet another death of someone important from our youth.

At 40, I am still battling OCD (though I have it mostly under control) and Metabolic Syndrome (also mostly under control, I hope). So, I get a bit depressed and concerned from time to time... again, for my wife and kids. I don't want them to ever have to deal with losing me at their young ages.

On the plus side, I have a steady business. I have an amazing family. And I'm being proactive in battling my physical and mental issues. My diet changes have surprised even me. I never thought I would be able to give up soda, yet I haven't had a sip for months (except at Epcot, when we were flavor testing drinks). Whole grains, nuts, fruit and veggies, and lean meats (mostly poultry and seafood) are what I stick to for the most part. I've forced myself to get my bloodwork done (which I HATE!!! I get so nervous giving blood) and I plan to have a new round of testing done to see if any damage has been done to my arteries from my previously poor lipid profile.

Lastly, I am thankful for you guys. Coming here helps me connect to those times I feel disconnected from. My youth isn't relevant to anyone I know (aside from my best friend, Phil, and my brother, Bry - both of whom I get to see very little of), and it is becoming increasingly irrelevant in our culture, despite all the "retro" crazy things that are currently the big fad. At some point, the 80's (my decade) and then the 90's (also a part of my youth early on) will become less and less "cool". And then all we'll have is each other to keep those times alive. It's nice to have somewhere to turn to feel like you aren't alone out there - not everybody is out there laser-focused on what's next. It's nice to be able to stop... "smell the roses", and reminisce about easier times. More importantly, incorporating what was great about those times into life today, so that today can benefit from what made yesterday so special.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
shakin steak
35 here and I haven't slowed down yet. Just some gray hairs, and some long hairs in my eyebrows

I bought my house to avoid growing up. I know plenty of people still renting with no plans to change but maybe that's just city life.

I have no interest whatsoever in my 9-5 job. Been looking for something else with similar pay but I can't get a call back. Financially I'm not quite where I want to be, but I can't deny I'm comfortable.
Quote Disable Sigs
echidna64
vkimo wrote :

Kind of an open ended question, but what do you think about when you consider your age? Feeling old psychically or just mentally? Do you feel like you've been around, or still feel pretty inexperienced with life?

I'm 28 and it's kind of scary being in my phsyical "prime" because this is it, I reached full adulthood and will start to age. My 30s are coming up and I still haven't found a "career" but I feel like my friends and family are more concerned than I am.
-end quote
Most of the world's sexiest people are in their late 30's, early 40's, you've still got some time vkimo! I'll be turning the right bold age of 28 this year too!

For some people, high school was the time of their life. I had a terrible time in high school- no money, no car, no power. Plus I had a full beard during a time when boy bands and emo kids were all the rage. Anyhow, for me 25 was an awesome year. I was in the best shape of my life and that's when I met my wife.

As we get older you gotta ask yourself, are you merely surviving or are you thriving? The key is to keep moving forward, to keep challenging yourself. and to keep making progress. It's when we put ourselves into neutral gear that's when we truly become "old."
Quote Disable Sigs
shakin steak
/\ I agree and that gives me another point to bring up. My life outside of work totally kicks *ss. So I'm OK with not seeking fulfillment from work. Work is for paycheck. People whose lives are their jobs don't know what to do with themselves when they retire. And sometimes I hear about people who "do what they love" for a living getting sick of it.
Quote Disable Sigs
Jrs1991
I'm 24 so other than some dumb health stuff i'm fine.
Quote Disable Sigs
Go to page: