You will
never be
forgotten.
My Favorite Summer

CONTEST WINNER!

Forum » Chew The Fat » The strangest book you ever read
jkatz
Have you ever come across a book that made you stop and ask yourself what on earth were you reading?
There's far better examples, but atm there's one specific title that really sticks out in my mind.
I don't read much 

It's called The Hotel New Hampshire. Based on the description I read, I was expecting long paragraphs abput curling up next to a fireplace in the middle of New England blizzards and a family's struggle to run a hotel and stay together.

Instead, I got bears, lesbians, incest, a boy named Egg, terrorists, and the main character disposes of the bad guys in a way that I don't think is possible in real life (not gonna spoil it in case somebody actually wants to seek out and read this thing for themselves).
It wasn't a bad book, really. Just so radically different from what I thought it would be that it threw me off.

Quote Disable Sigs

The women of New Vegas ask me a lot if there's a Mrs. New Vegas. Well, of course there is! You're her. And you're still just as perfect as the day we met.

DebrisStorm
I could have sworn it was a movie also. And it is. Here's the IMDb link. Seth Green played Egg.
Quote Disable Sigs
This is my signature.
massreality
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (writer of Fight Club). Its also my favorite book of all-time. The movie was alright, but really didn't come close to diving into the raunchier and blasphemous moments.
Quote Disable Sigs
Caps 2.0
Although I enjoyed it, some might feel Joe Esterhazs' "American Rhapsody" to be a strange book. It's a look at the Baby Boomers at the turn of the millennium set against the backdrop of the Clinton administration. It's part autobiography, part Hollywood gossip, part political writing, and part fiction. There are chapters that Esterhazs wrote from the perspectives of Bill and Hilary, Al Gore, Monica Lewinsky, Ken Starr, John McCain, George W. Bush, and in the final chapter, a character named Willard. I won't spoil it for you, but Willard relates to one of the book's overriding themes.
Quote Disable Sigs
vkimo
It's a tie between Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse, the book seemed to go from fantasy to reality so seamlessly I was lost. Also The Metamorphosis by Kafka was quite a doozie.
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
The Lottery is about the only one I can think of.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
DebrisStorm
Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis. Its short and weird as hell. Not for the easily offended.
Quote Disable Sigs
This is my signature.
Linux_Sage
I don't think I can top most of that weirdness. The closest one I can think of that I've read which I thought was a little out there was On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony. It's a Fantasy novel so maybe it's supposed to be weird. Anyway, the basic premise is that you're an ordinary guy down on his luck about to off himself when Death himself comes in trying to take his life. The guy gets spooked from what I remember and accidentally shoots and kills Death (that in itself is odd) and then he is forced to take up Death's role in cleaning up the dead and other things. There's more to it and gets weirder from there but I remember it being sort of interesting. I'm just not the best at describing it. 
Quote Disable Sigs
Wir sprechen zu viel, aber wir sehen zu wenig.
echidna64
Anything by Phillip K. Dick is mind-blowing- psychics, hallucinations, alien religions, etc. It's all there and it's awesome
Quote Disable Sigs
EISXUOIS

Yeah this one was weird. one of the characters creates a creature from feces and semen...
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
EISXUOIS wrote :
Yeah this one was weird. one of the characters creates a creature from feces and semen...
-end quote
Uh... okay. We have a winner.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Go to page: