You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Retro Video Games » The Disney Afternoon Collection
blueluigi

Capcom and Disney has just recently announced The Disney Afternoon Collection. A compilation game containing classic NES games based off cartoons from The Disney Afternoon. The games included are Ducktales 1 and 2, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers 1 and 2, Talespin, and Darkwing Duck. From what it looks like, it seems that Digital Eclipse is handling the emulation. Same company that also helped out with the Megaman Legacy Collection.

The game I mostly played is Ducktales 1 and 2. I'm sure most of us are familiar with the first Ducktales game, but the sequel is a very underrated classic in my opinion, and I'm glad it's being included in this collection. I haven't had much of a chance to play the other Disney Afternoon based games, so I'm interested in trying them out.

Aside from new features like time attack, boss rush, and others. It also has a museum mode, which gives us a behind the scenes look. From what the trailer showed, these museum pieces seems to include stuff from the shows themselves, and not just the games. These include storyboards to episodes of these shows, and background art. I think I may have also seen some artwork from the comic books based on Disney Afternoon shows, but I could be wrong about that.

The Disney Afternoon Collection will be released on April 18 for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC. The bad news: It's not coming out for any Nintendo system. Not the 3DS or the Nintendo Switch... which is a shame as the Switch would be the perfect system for this collection. Nevertheless, I'm going to hold off on this title for a little bit in case a Switch version does get announced. After all, the Megaman Legacy Collection did eventually come out for the 3DS, so I'm not abandoning hope on seeing this game for the Switch.

Benjanime

did i just hear my wallet weep?

Quote Disable Sigs

3DS Friend Code: 4124-6332-4341
Name: Benji
Nintendo Network ID: Benjamillion
PSN account ID: benjanime
ThatDudeintheHoodie
I think my wallet is crying in the corner saying that a restraining order is next. 
Quote Disable Sigs
Rick Ace Rhodes
I've always been interested in some of these games. I think I'll wait until the price drops though, save my current video game budget for some of the other big titles waiting to be released.
Quote Disable Sigs
*Insert funny signature here*
massreality

Today is the day!!! I'm bummed it's not coming out for the Switch but I'll definitely be picking it up on either the PS4 or Xbox.

Also, a very underrated game Voodoo Vince has been remastered on Xbox and came out today as well.

Quote Disable Sigs
Benjanime
recorded myself sucking at ducktales

Quote Disable Sigs

blueluigi
Capcom's decision of not releasing this game for the Switch or even the 3DS baffles me. It's not like this is the type of game that would be demanding on the Switch's hardware. This is a collection of games that were originally released on a Nintendo console, and it's not being released on a Nintendo console. While I'm sure there's a decent amount of people who would get this for other consoles, I think this game would have gotten the most sales if it was on the Switch or 3DS, considering the core audience for this game likely owns one of the two systems. Hell, 90% of the comments posted on the game's trailer, on the Youtube page, and even on their social media accounts, is from people who are demanding a Switch version.

Either way, I'm still holding off on getting this game for now. Mainly because I'm still not abandoning hope on seeing a Switch version. I'd rather play it on the Switch as I'm mostly gaming on the go anyway, and a game like that would be perfect for the system. At least there's still Namco Museum coming up for the Switch. Plus, the weekly ACA Neo Geo games should also help being more of that retro fix for the Switch.
Quote Disable Sigs
Benjanime

maybe they're waiting for other third party developers to release more games for the system, but who knows.

Quote Disable Sigs

massreality
I really dig this game pack. You can tell they put some time into it.
You get all six games. You also get all the games soundtracks and a cool artwork section. What I found most impressive was the amount of customization you can do to the way the game is presented. When you hit the pause menu you can toggle a filter that mimics an old TV or a monitor. You can also stretch the image full screen, widescreen, or leave it in the default ratio.
The game also has a great rewind feature, that I shamefully used way more than I expected (especially when playing Darkwing Duck). For a fan who grew up with these games (or fans of retro platformers) its well worth $20, but for the casual fan who might just want to see what all the fuss is about, its probably a $10 purchase.
Quote Disable Sigs
Benjanime
i like how the title screen music is an 8-bit recreation of the disney afternoon song

Quote Disable Sigs

shakin steak
Ducktales 2 is underrated? Is that why an original cartridge can't be had for less than $150? Come on! 

I'm glad it is included in this collection though, specifically because that makes it available to more people. Same with Rescue Rangers 2, another one where the vintage collecting market has high prices. Heck, even Darkwing Duck is pretty pricey. More rereleases, please! 
Quote Disable Sigs
Go to page: