You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Retro T.V. & Movies » Remembered when they marketed R-rated movies to kids?
HarryCanyon

I remembered for 34 years they marketed R-rated adult films like Rambo, Terminator 2, Robocop, Demolition Man, Aliens, Predator etc. to kids.

I mean when i was 4 33 years ago i had a Rambo power bike and a toy gun plus a Rambo figure and i remembered watching First Blood when it aired on TV plus saw Rambo 2 on HBO at that age as i recalled they had a cartoon weekday mornings and i saw Rambo III In theaters when i was 6 years old. They made lunchboxes, halloween costumes, bubble gum, cards, coloring books, vitamins, toy guns/knives, action figures and all based on Rambo in 1985 and marketed to kids.

I also remembered seeing Robocop in theaters when i was 5 with my 12 year old big brother and my dad and thought it was an awesome movie and i had a couple of toys and watched the cartoon sunday mornings. One of my friends had a Robocop lunchbox in second grade and i saw Robocop 2 in theaters when i was 8 and had some cards.

I remembered seeing Alien on TV a month before the sequel hit theaters when i was 4 and Aliens with Cobra were the first r-rated movies i saw in theaters at that age and i had a few Aliens action figures at age 10.

I did saw Predator 1 and 2 in theaters when i was 5 and 8 as i recalled seeing commercials for Predator toys later on. I saw Terminator when i was 4 on HBO and saw Terminator 2 in theaters when i was 9 as i had some stuff like t-shirt, a few action figures, comic, poster, luchbox and more as they did some kids merchandise.

I also remembered seeing Demolition Man in theaters when i was 11 and had some trading cards and i recalled they had merchandise for kids even an action figure series.

Rick Ace Rhodes
No, not really. They stopped doing that by the time I was born.
Quote Disable Sigs
*Insert funny signature here*
HarryCanyon
Rick Ace Rhodes wrote :

No, not really. They stopped doing that by the time I was born.
-end quote
When was that?
Quote Disable Sigs
Rick Ace Rhodes

The only kind of "adult film" from my life that I remember getting marketed to kids was Small Soldiers. And even then, it had a PG-13 rating and wasn't as bad for young kids as a PG-13 film could be.
Quote Disable Sigs
*Insert funny signature here*
shakin steak
Yes I remember that. My parents were too strict though, and I never got to see them in the theater. Only on network TV with swears and probably footage removed. I remember the cool kids in art class arguing over if Jason of Freddy was cooler. (Today my vote goes to Freddy)
Quote Disable Sigs
HarryCanyon
shakin steak wrote :

Yes I remember that. My parents were too strict though, and I never got to see them in the theater. Only on network TV with swears and probably footage removed. I remember the cool kids in art class arguing over if Jason of Freddy was cooler. (Today my vote goes to Freddy)
-end quote
I had cool parents who took me to r-rated movies and watch r-rated movies with my big brother and i had some merchandise based on r-rated movies.

And they also did The Toxic Avenger with merchandise for kids, lunchbox, toys to a cartoon.
Quote Disable Sigs
NLogan
Eh, R rated. The PG rated movies of my day had full nudity in them like Clash of the Titans 1981(breast feeding, nude walks on the beach, bathing getting ready for the big sacrifice), Beastmaster, Splash, Logan's Run, Dragonslayer, Jaws, Swamp Thing, etc. all had nudity. I had all of the action figures for Clash of the Titans but never got the Kraken. I had a glow in the dark Swamp Thing. Some R rated movie toys that I remember seeing or having were the Big Chap from Alien 1979, didn't own it but saw it in an older kid's room. They also made an Alien boardgame. Police Academy toys, Terminator 2 toys, Rambo, Conan the Barbarian toys by Remco. I had a few Rambo figures and an Entertech Rambo water hawk water gun that looked like a tec-9 semi-auto pistol.
Quote Disable Sigs
HarryCanyon
NLogan wrote :

Eh, R rated. The PG rated movies of my day had full nudity in them like Clash of the Titans 1981(breast feeding, nude walks on the beach, bathing getting ready for the big sacrifice), Beastmaster, Splash, Logan's Run, Dragonslayer, Jaws, Swamp Thing, etc. all had nudity. I had all of the action figures for Clash of the Titans but never got the Kraken. I had a glow in the dark Swamp Thing. Some R rated movie toys that I remember seeing or having were the Big Chap from Alien 1979, didn't own it but saw it in an older kid's room. They also made an Alien boardgame. Police Academy toys, Terminator 2 toys, Rambo, Conan the Barbarian toys by Remco. I had a few Rambo figures and an Entertech Rambo water hawk water gun that looked like a tec-9 semi-auto pistol.
-end quote
How about Critters 2 and that incredibly hot transformation scene of faceless gendereless alien bounty hunter who looks at a playboy centerfold and turns into the centerfold all nude?
Quote Disable Sigs