Two dollars.
Click HERE to register.

 Forgot your info?
Remember me

Don't mess
with the bull.

Geriatric Vegas

Going to Laughlin was my dad’s idea. I’m not sure why he wanted to go there. Before I went my friend recommended things to do there. She was always going to Nevada with her mom who liked disco music and gambling. She said there was a watch store and a mall.

When we went there it was the River Run. It is an event that has to do with bikers. We were there for three days during my spring break. But it felt more like a week. I was upset I was going to have to miss my music video shows, but I set the VCR to record them. I took a lot of strange things with me including a boom box. I was 16 when we went and couldn’t do much.

Day 1:

The ride over there was long and boring. On the way there my dad drove past Barstow. When we got to the hotel there were some elderly people asleep in the hotel lobby. When we went to the room it was in the afternoon and I watched Pokémon there. I thought it was interesting that it came on at the same time it did on KTLA in Los Angeles.

Later we went to see the river. It wasn’t that impressive. There were a lot of feral cats living under the docs.

I did a lot of the same things I did at home like watch tv. I watched Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

I went to the mall, but I didn’t do any intense shopping. I saw some “Gwen” clothes. I was on the hunt for “the perfect outfit” since I had purchased No Doubt concert tickets earlier in the month, and I was going to see them in the summer.

I couldn’t sleep the people in the neighboring room where loud. There were motorcycles constantly zooming past the room. There was no radio station that played Loveline to lull me to sleep. Since I couldn’t sleep I planned out my perfect concert outfit.

Day 2:

It was spring break I had stayed up late so my body clock was all messed up. I would sleep for a few hours and then wake up. My parents didn't like me turning on the lights while they were sleeping so I snuck into the bathroom to check the time on my watch. The lighting wasn’t very good in there, and my watch was broken. It would always flash the time and then the date. I looked at it really fast and it said 426 so I thought that meant it was 4AM. I thought it was going to be sunrise soon. I opened the room curtain. I ended up waking my parents in the process. They told me it was not 4AM. It was really 12:37AM I could have watched Conan or Kilbourne or something.

(the infamous watch)

I did enjoy that Pokémon came on at 7AM there. In LA Pokémon came on at 2PM.

I did see a commercial for the watch store on tv, but I didn’t get to go there.

All the radio stations there were either classic rock or country music. There was no alternative rock station there. Good thing I brought my portable personal CD player.

My dad had to buy soap so we went to Arizona to get some. After we went to Arizona we went to the border of California so he could play the lottery.  

We went back to the mall. I wasn’t sure what I wanted, but I would know it when I saw it. I bought a white sleeveless shirt with rhinestones on it. I loved that shirt so much I wore it in my yearbook photo for junior year. The only problem was that I could not find a bottom to go with it. All the cute bottoms didn’t fit me. So I thought I’d look for something locally. I owed my friend a seed bead necklace because I broke hers. I did get her a seed bead necklace with a purple feather on it. I also found this really pretty pink bracelet that reminded me of something that Gwen Stefani would wear. When we went to the music store it was filled with country music. The other things I saw at the mall were a Big Dogs store and saw some Beanie Babies for sale. The only reason I could I identify the Beanies was because I had been watching a lot of the Shop At Home channel and the Beanie Babies shows.

We went to a car museum in one of the hotels/casinos. It was kinda boring. I took my CD player so I could listen to music while I looked around the museum.

Day 3:

I woke up early at 5:30 and listened to some No Doubt music. I can’t wait to leave.

On the ride back my dad got lost and drove past Barstow again!

Digg Share
Looking for more from pikachulover?

pikachulover Posted on Jun 15, 2018 at 11:25 PM

@Hoju It was a bit of culture shock for me. KROQ sort of has a weak signal even in So Cal. It's hard to get it in the valley.

Hoju Koolander Posted on Jun 15, 2018 at 08:00 PM

Ha, this was the perfect early teen experience of the family road trip. Your parents take you somewhere boring and the only thing that gets you through is your personal music device and the promise of fun to come when you get home. I'm surprised Dr. Drew and Adam Carolla didn't carry over from KROQ, my Dad always told me on road trips that radio signals could reach farther at night time.

Superman Posted on Jun 15, 2018 at 04:09 PM

Wow, it's too bad you didn't have more fun.

pikachulover Posted on Jun 13, 2018 at 04:47 PM

The most memorable parts were getting that cute shirt and the watch incident. I didn't live that down for years.

Vaporman87 Posted on Jun 12, 2018 at 04:39 PM

This didn't seem like a trip that would be very memorable. More like one you really weren't into. Did you have any trips that were more enjoyable?

The Wizard

In 1989, I was six years old. Like most six year olds, I was glued to the TV for my daily intake of cartoons. It was during these hours that I was exp...

Playing Hooky


Making the anime nerd transition

At one point or another during our childhoods we were introduced to anime, maybe you're an 80s kid and grew up with, say, Voltron. Or being a 90s kid ...

The Wraith - An 80's Cult Classic

Back in the early 2000's, I worked at Blockbuster. As DVDs began to get popular, we would sell off our VHS tapes to make room for more DVDs. There was...

That Time Gavin Rossdale Cheated Death in the Rain

Back when the only reality show on MTV was The Real World, they actually featured things like music videos and concerts. It was a pretty neat time cal...